Ide Hill is a village within the civil parish of Sundridge with Ide Hill, in the Sevenoaks District of Kent, England. It stands on one of the highest points of the Greensand Ridge about three miles south-west of Sevenoaks. Its name first appears on record in 1250 as Edythehelle. It is an eponymic denoting ‘Edith’s hill’, from the Old English hyll ‘hill’. The village lies within the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The church is relatively modern. The village had an Anglican chapel in 1806, built by Beilby Porteus, Bishop of London, who lived in nearby Sundridge; St Mary’s church was built in 1865 and “has the distinction of being the highest church in Kent” at 216 metres (709 ft) above sea level, as well as boasting a beautiful lychgate, crafted by local builder Cecil ‘Dusty’ Boakes. There are several old buildings round the sloping village green, including the 18th-century Cock Inn and the Ide Hill Village School, built in 1856 it is the second home of the school which unusually for a church school predates the church building as the school was formed in 1809.